Which is the best pair of Shooting Earmuffs?
Got love for some fire-in-the-hole, but don’t want to go deaf?
You’re in the right place to get some expert recommendations on protective earmuffs!
Now, why do you need earmuffs while you are at the range, pistol in hand?– The shockwaves generated every time you pull that trigger, kill a small number of teeny hair in your ear called auditory receptors. And if you practice or visit a shooting range often, this can exponentially increase the chances of you losing your hearing.
And if you don’t want to go deaf, then you might want to keep reading and choose one of these robust, comfortable, and highly durable Protective earmuffs!
What should you look for in a protective Earmuff?– Well, you should look for the NRR (Noise reduction rating) as this tells you how good the product is with reducing ambient and sharp noises. If you want to listen to music or take calls while using the muff, you should look for a BlueTooth or Auxillary cord support. All in all, it depends on what you desire and what you want from your Protective Ear Muff, whether it be classic insulated earmuff, or an electronic ambiance amplifying and echo limiting protective muffs.
Here are the top 5 expert picks for Protective Earmuffs:
Product 1: MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X Electronic Earmuff
This is a robust device made by MSA, featuring gel-padded ear cuffs, the Supreme Pro X excels in performance and is very comfortable. It features dual controlled microphones which reproduce ambient sound without choppy noise interference. Included in the headset is a LED flashlight, which will light up the area if you are working in the dark. With an NRR(Noise Reduction Rating) of 25dB, this earmuff will reduce the noise around you by 25dB.
- Splash-proof microphones.
- Amplifies ambient sound while muting harsh and loud incoming voices
- Over 600-hours of battery.
- Gel padding ensures comfort.
- All electronic functions can be accessed with only three buttons.
- Rugged design
- Bulky build
- It comes with flashy skins, not suitable if you are looking for a natural and blending product.
- Slightly expensive
Product 2: Howard Leight impact sport electronic noise canceling earmuff
Specifically made with shooters in mind, Impact sport is an electronic earmuff that amplifies ambient noise and blocks all hazardous noise above 82dB. Featuring a low-profile design and an MP3 plugin, this is one of the best electronic earmuffs. A truly modern and low-priced option to consider!
- MP3 plugin (AUX) support
- Digitized noise cancellation
- 350-hours of battery life
- Lightweight and compact design
- Can be folded and stored easily
- 22dB NRR(Noise Reduction Rating) ensures high-quality noise reduction
- Less expensive option
- Not a robust device, and might loosen if not stored properly
- Sometimes don’t seal the ears properly
Product 3: Peltor Sport Tactical 500
With BlueTooth synchronization for music and calls along with a premium audio quality, the Peltor Sport Tactical 500 is a must buy if you’re looking for a muff that will not only reduce sharp noise but also keep you entertained. Featuring a revolutionary and crisp voice tracking ability, this muff can easily separate human speech and ambient noise to provide a seamless performance!
- NRR(Noise Reduction Rating): 26dB
- Can separate human speech and let you hear someone without removing the muff
- Auto-detects and sets suppression time after the first shot sound to protect against echoes.
- Has BlueTooth sync ability
- Auto-suppression timer
- Can be folded and stored easily
- Slightly expensive option
- No gel padding
Product 4: 3M Peltor X5A
With a whopping 31dB NRR(Noise Reduction Rating), the 3M Peltor X5A is sure to guard your hearing ability. It utilizes insulated and lined ear cuffs to completely disrupt hazardous noises while safely dispersing and lowering the sound to a comfortable 31dB. Very wide and soft ear muff lining to ensure maximum comfort while completely sealing your ear and providing a snugly fit. Also, to reduce heat buildup, 3M has made the product with a twin headband and stainless steel components.
- Advanced Attenuation technology to reduce sharp noise
- NRR(Noise Reduction Rating) : 31dB
- Durable ABS plastic cups for robust and rugged design
- Replaceable cushions
- Very low-priced option
- Easy folding design
- Very efficient in noise reduction
- Hygiene kit increases the life of the muff (Sold separately)
- Bulky over-head design
- No electronic capability
- Best for industrial/professional use.
Product 5: Decibel Defense Professional Safety ear muffs.
With the best in market NRR (Noise Reduction Rating), Decibel Defense boasts its noise-canceling ability.
Built with a smooth, padded design, this product is suitable for both kids and adults. These muffs fit securely over the head and completely cover the ears for maximum noise reduction.
This is a must-have with a very compact and superior build quality if you are looking for child-friendly earmuffs. Also, this product easily fits in gun totes or carrying bags.
- NRR(Noise Reduction Rating): 37dB (OSHA rating of 34dB as OSHA, reduces 3dB as a ‘safety net’ for the consumer)
- Safe and comfortable padding
- Best noise-reducing ear muffs on the market.
- Compact and lightweight yet sturdy design
- Least priced option on the list
- Industry-leading 37dB NRR
- Child safe
- Very comfortable due to the soft pads
- No electronic support
- Low-quality acoustic insulation
Whether you choose to go with the classic non-electronic ones or the more modern and tech-forward Electronic earmuffs which provide you with music, calls, streaming, and other numerous capabilities, you should know how and how often you are going to be using these.
Undoubtedly protective earmuffs are essential, but buying a very expensive and tech-savvy earmuff will not always be better. Sometimes, you need basic and better noise-canceling ones.
Whatever your needs are, they will be catered to by the earmuffs mentioned above, put in some thought, and then go forth with buying your new shooting companion!